Spider Math Multiplication Activities for Threes Week

Spider Math was inspired from a math workshop I attended where they used ants to teach some math concepts after reading The Ants Go Marching One by One. I utilized spiders and further developed a Multidisciplinary approach to teaching many math concepts. Additionally, we tied this into life cycles, habitats, comparing and contrasting arachnids and insects, and report writing about different spiders. During this unit, I always read Charlotte's Web by E.B. White to the class. 

On Monday, we did the Area and Perimeter Spider Array and discuss the perimeter, area, and the related multiplication facts. I gave my students copies of all these to fill in as we did it together on the overhead, to increase retention.




On Tuesday, we did the Spider Stair Step Multiplication Table together. The rest of the time, I filled in with the math book activities I needed to cover.




On Wednesday, for all weeks except for Zero, we made The Spiders Go Spinning One by One books, which change according to the multiplication facts learned that week. I have one sheet that has 4 covers on it to cut out and easily hand to the class. Each student gets a sheet to cut, fill in the answers, and assemble into a mini book. 







Tuesday through Friday, I gave each student a Multiplication Minute Strip to fill in to help commit the multiplication facts to memory.



Click on Links to Other Blogs I Felt Led to Create:

Books Created by Children Below

The children who created these books wanted any money made from the sale of their books to be donated to the less fortunate. I explained things on this site are free, but I could include a few direct links to charities. Any charity would work, but it's not obligatory!

The Pirate and the Penguin Link to Book

The Pirate and the Penguin Link to Book
Written and Illustrated by BAC-6 yrs old

The Hamster That Is Too Cool for School Link to Book

The Hamster That Is Too Cool for School Link to Book
Written and Illustrated by BJC-7 1/2 years old

Super Plants versus Zombies book link

Super Plants versus Zombies book link
Written and Illustrated by JDR, 6 years old (Inspired by the Books With Similar Names)

Relate2TheBible Podcast